Are you curious if Big Lots takes EBT? If so, you’ve come to the right place! Big Lots is a popular discount retailer that carries a wide range of products, including furniture, home goods, groceries, and more. With so many customers relying on food assistance programs to make ends meet, it’s important to know if Big Lots accepts EBT cards as a method of payment.
When it comes to shopping on a budget, using EBT benefits can be a lifesaver. Many low-income families and individuals rely on these programs to purchase essential items like groceries and household goods. That’s why it’s crucial to know if retailers like Big Lots accept EBT as payment. So, if you’re wondering whether or not you can use your EBT card at Big Lots, keep reading to find out all you need to know.
Whether you’re a frequent Big Lots shopper or just curious about their payment options, understanding if they accept EBT is essential. With so many stores and retailers available, it’s important to know which ones offer payment options that work for you. So, let’s dive in and discover whether or not you can use your EBT card to shop at Big Lots.
The Basics of EBT
The Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) is a system used in the United States to deliver government benefits for those who qualify. It is a card-based system that allows cardholders to access their benefits at authorized retailers. The EBT card functions like a debit card, allowing cardholders to pay for items at the checkout using their card balance.
- EBT benefits include programs like the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), and Women, Infants, and Children (WIC).
- EBT cards are issued to eligible individuals and families by state agencies and are sponsored by the federal government.
- The EBT card is designed to provide a convenient and secure way for individuals and families to receive their benefits, eliminating the need for paper checks.
When using an EBT card, it is important to understand the balance on the card and the rules and limitations of the program. EBT cardholders should also be aware of the approved retailers that accept EBT payments. Many major retailers are authorized to accept EBT payments, including grocery stores and big-box retailers like Walmart and Target.
Below is a table of the states that have authorized Big Lots to accept EBT payments:
|State||EBT Program||Authorized Retailers|
|Ohio||Ohio Direction Card||Big Lots|
It is important to note that authorized retailers may vary by state and program. It is recommended to check with your state agency or EBT provider for a complete list of authorized retailers in your area.
Big Lots store overview
Big Lots is an American retail company that offers a wide range of products at discounted prices. The company operates over 1,400 stores in 47 states, providing customers with an opportunity to purchase everything from furniture and home decor to groceries and electronics. The stores are typically large, averaging around 30,000 square feet, and are known for offering a treasure hunt shopping experience where customers can find unexpected deals and products.
Does Big Lots take EBT?
- Yes, Big Lots stores do accept SNAP EBT cards for eligible food purchases. Customers can use their EBT card to purchase groceries such as fruits, vegetables, meat, dairy products, and bread. However, EBT cannot be used for non-food items like household supplies, toiletries, or electronics.
- In addition to SNAP EBT, Big Lots also accepts EBT cash benefits, which can be used to purchase whatever products the store offers that are not restricted by SNAP guidelines. Customers can use EBT cash benefits to buy items such as clothing, home decor, and electronics.
- Customers should be aware that Big Lots does not offer an online shopping option for EBT purchases. EBT can only be used in-store, making it important for customers to find a local Big Lots location that accepts EBT.
Big Lots Rewards Program
Big Lots offers a rewards program called “Big Rewards” which allows customers to earn points on purchases and redeem them for discounts and other rewards. Customers can earn 1 point for every dollar spent, and once they reach 200 points, they can redeem them for a $5 reward. In addition, members receive early access to sales, birthday surprises, and special discounts throughout the year.
To join the program, customers can sign up in-store or online. The program is free to join and offers exclusive benefits for members.
Big Lots Credit Card
Big Lots also offers a credit card for customers who frequently shop at their stores. The credit card comes with exclusive benefits such as extra discounts, special financing promotions, and access to VIP shopping events. In addition, cardholders can earn rewards points on every purchase they make, which can be redeemed for future discounts.
|Big Lots Credit Card Benefits|
|• Special financing promotions||• Exclusive discounts|
|• VIP shopping events||• Rewards points on every purchase|
Customers interested in applying for the Big Lots credit card can do so online or in-store. Approval is subject to credit approval and applicants must be 18 years or older.
Big Lots and EBT Partnership
Big Lots is a popular retail chain that offers great deals on household items, furniture, and groceries. They have recently partnered with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) to accept Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards as payment for eligible items. This is a great opportunity for individuals and families who are food insecure to access affordable food options.
- The partnership between Big Lots and EBT allows customers to purchase eligible items with their EBT card in stores across the country.
- Eligible items include food items such as bread, milk, and cereal, as well as non-food items like soap and diapers.
- The partnership also includes providing EBT cardholders with discounts and promotions on select items, allowing them to stretch their SNAP benefits even further.
It’s important to note that not all items at Big Lots are eligible for purchase with EBT. Some items, such as electronics and furniture, are not covered by the program. However, the discounted prices at Big Lots make it a great option for those looking to save money on household and food items.
If you’re an EBT cardholder, it’s worth checking out Big Lots’ selection of eligible items and taking advantage of the discounts and promotions available to you. This partnership is a great step towards providing access to affordable, quality food options for those in need.
|Access to affordable food options for individuals and families who are food insecure||Not all items at Big Lots are eligible for purchase with EBT|
|Discounts and promotions on select items for EBT cardholders|
|Ability to stretch SNAP benefits further|
Overall, the Big Lots and EBT partnership is a positive step towards providing accessible and affordable food options for those in need. It also shows a commitment from Big Lots to serve their community and make a positive impact on people’s lives.
Eligible food items for EBT at Big Lots
Big Lots is known for offering fantastic deals on a variety of products, from furniture to food. Fortunately, if you’re an EBT cardholder, you can use your benefits to purchase eligible food items at Big Lots! Here’s what you need to know about eligible food items for EBT at Big Lots:
- SNAP benefits can be used to purchase food items, but cannot be used for non-food items.
- Eligible food items include any items that are meant for human consumption, such as bread, fruits and vegetables, dairy products, and meats.
- Items such as energy drinks, candy, chips, and other non-nutritious foods are NOT eligible for purchase with EBT benefits.
What are the food item restrictions?
Not all food items at Big Lots are eligible for EBT purchase. The following items are NOT eligible for EBT purchase:
- Prepared foods: any hot foods or foods sold for immediate consumption such as rotisserie chicken, deli sandwiches, or baked goods.
- Alcohol and tobacco products are not eligible for purchase with EBT benefits.
- Supplements, vitamins, and medicines are not eligible for EBT purchase.
- Non-food items such as cleaning supplies, pet food, and hygiene products cannot be purchased with EBT benefits.
What about fresh produce and meats?
EBT cardholders have a wide range of options to choose from when it comes to fresh produce and meats at Big Lots. They offer an extensive selection of fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as fresh meats including beef, chicken, pork, and fish. EBT cardholders can buy these items using their benefits at any Big Lots store across the country.
EBT and Big Lots food item prices
Shopping at Big Lots with your EBT card for eligible food items is a great way to stretch your food budget further. Big Lots is known for having low prices on many of the products it sells. Though EBT benefits can’t be used for non-food items, you may still be able to find great deals on household essentials, such as cleaning supplies, at Big Lots.
|Loaf of bread||$1.50|
|1 pound of ground beef||$4.00|
|1 pound of fresh strawberries||$2.50|
These prices are estimates and may vary depending on your location and the specific products available at your Big Lots store.
Restrictions and Limitations for EBT at Big Lots
Big Lots is a popular discount retailer that carries a wide range of products including groceries, household essentials, furniture, and more. As an EBT (Electronic Benefit Transfer) cardholder, you may wonder if you can use your benefits to shop at Big Lots. The answer is yes, but there are some restrictions and limitations that you should be aware of.
- Restrictions on Non-Food Items: EBT benefits are typically meant to cover only food items. However, Big Lots also sells non-food items such as furniture, electronics, and clothing. You cannot use your EBT benefits to purchase these items at Big Lots.
- Restrictions on Prepared Foods: While you can use your EBT benefits to buy uncooked food items such as fresh fruits, vegetables, and meat, you cannot use them to purchase prepared foods that are intended for immediate consumption such as hot deli meals or restaurant meals sold at Big Lots.
- Limitations on Brand-Name Products: Big Lots may carry brand-name food items that exceed the amount of your EBT benefits. In this case, you can pay the difference with cash or another form of payment.
Aside from these restrictions and limitations, Big Lots has made it easy and convenient for EBT cardholders to shop for groceries and other essential items. If you have any questions about using your EBT benefits at Big Lots, you can contact their customer service department for further assistance.
If you are unsure if a particular product is eligible for EBT benefits, you can refer to the table below. Please note that this is only a general guide and may vary by state and location:
|Eligible Food Items||Ineligible Items|
|Meat, Poultry, and Fish||Furniture and Electronics|
|Fruits and Vegetables||Clothing and Accessories|
|Dairy and Eggs||Prepared Foods for Immediate Consumption|
|Breads and Cereals||Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco|
|Snack Foods||Cleaning Supplies and Personal Care Items|
Overall, while Big Lots does accept EBT benefits, there are certain restrictions and limitations that you need to be aware of. By understanding these guidelines beforehand, you can make the most out of your EBT benefits and shop at Big Lots with confidence.
The Application Process for EBT
EBT or Electronic Benefits Transfer is a system that enables recipients of certain government benefits, such as Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), to receive payment electronically. Applying for EBT can seem like a daunting task, but it is actually a straightforward process. Below are the steps you need to follow to apply for EBT.
- Step 1: Check Your Eligibility – The first step in applying for EBT is to determine if you are eligible. Eligibility requirements may vary from state to state, but in general, you must meet income requirements and be a U.S. citizen or a qualified non-citizen.
- Step 2: Gather the Required Documents – You will need to provide certain documents to complete your application, such as proof of identity, income verification, and residency.
- Step 3: Fill Out an Application – You can apply for EBT online or in-person at your local welfare office. Make sure you fill out the application completely, providing all required information.
After submitting your application, it will be reviewed by the agency responsible for administering EBT in your state. If your application is approved, you will receive an EBT card in the mail that looks like a debit or credit card. Your benefits will be loaded onto the card each month, and you can use it to purchase eligible items at participating retailers.
It is important to remember that the EBT program is designed to provide temporary assistance in times of financial need. If your circumstances change, you may need to reapply for benefits or adjust the amount of benefits you receive. Make sure you keep your contact information up-to-date and notify the appropriate agency if your income or household size changes.
|State||EBT Application Website||EBT Customer Service|
If you have any questions or need assistance with the application process, contact your local welfare office or the EBT customer service number in your state. They will be able to provide you with the information and help you need to successfully apply for EBT.
Benefits of using EBT at Big Lots
Big Lots is a discount store that offers a wide range of products at affordable prices, including groceries, household essentials, and even furniture. If you have an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card, you may be wondering if you can use it at Big Lots. The good news is, yes, Big Lots accepts EBT cards in-store. Here are some benefits of using EBT at Big Lots:
- Convenient shopping: By using your EBT card at Big Lots, you can buy groceries and household essentials in one place, making shopping more convenient for you and your family.
- Affordable prices: Big Lots offers discount prices on a variety of products, making it easier to stretch your EBT benefits further. You can find deals on items such as canned goods, toiletries, and snacks, all of which are eligible for purchase with EBT.
- Fresh produce: Big Lots also has a selection of fresh produce available, which is a great option for families who want to purchase healthy food items. Fruits and vegetables are essential for a balanced diet, and Big Lots offers a variety of options at affordable prices.
When using EBT at Big Lots, it’s important to note that some items may not be eligible for purchase with your benefits. Items such as alcohol, tobacco, and hot prepared foods are not eligible for purchase with EBT. However, you can use your EBT card to purchase cold items that need to be prepared, such as frozen pizzas and TV dinners.
Here is a table that outlines the different categories of items that are eligible for purchase with EBT at Big Lots:
|Meat and poultry||Alcohol|
|Dairy products||Hot prepared foods|
|Fruits and vegetables|
|Canned and packaged goods|
Overall, using EBT at Big Lots can help you save money and provide your family with convenient access to affordable groceries and household essentials. Just be sure to check which items are eligible for purchase before you shop.
Common Issues When Using EBT at Big Lots
Big Lots is one of the top discount stores in the United States, offering a variety of products, including household essentials, groceries, and furniture at an affordable price. If you are a recipient of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) or commonly known as EBT, you can use your benefits at Big Lots to purchase eligible items.
However, some common issues may arise when using your EBT card at the store. Here are a few things you should keep in mind when shopping at Big Lots with your EBT card:
- Items Limitation: Not all items at Big Lots are eligible to be purchased with EBT card benefits. You should check with the store staff to ensure the items you want to buy can be paid for using EBT benefits.
- Unavailable Stock: Sometimes a particular store may run out of specific products that are eligible for EBT payment. You may find that they are out of stock of fresh produce or dairy products that you intended to buy.
- Technical Difficulties: The EBT system may experience outages or be offline from time to time, which can cause issues with EBT transactions. If this is the case, you may need to wait and try again later or use another form of payment.
EBT Payment Rules and Restrictions at Big Lots
Big Lots follows the regulations set by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) on EBT payment eligibility, which includes the following:
- Eligible for Food: EBT benefits cannot be used for non-food products, such as electronics or household supplies, but only for food items that are nutritious and healthy for you and your family.
- Eligible Retailers: Your EBT card can only be used at authorized retailers who are part of the SNAP program. Big Lots is an approved SNAP retailer and accepts EBT card payments.
- Eligible Amount: Your EBT payment must cover only eligible food items’ costs without any additional fees or charges. Sales tax cannot be paid using EBT benefits.
EBT Card Purchases are Final
EBT transactions at Big Lots or any other store are considered final once they are approved. This means you cannot return or cancel the purchase using EBT benefits. Therefore, it is essential to check your items carefully before purchasing them with your EBT card to avoid buying something you don’t want or need.
|Big Lots provides affordable prices on various products.||Not all items at Big Lots are eligible to be paid with EBT benefits.|
|EBT cardholders can purchase eligible food items at Big Lots.||Stock limitations or outages may affect the availability of eligible items.|
|Big Lots follows USDA regulations for EBT payment eligibility.||EBT payment cannot be used for non-food items.|
While using your EBT card at Big Lots may come with a few common issues, you can still purchase affordable and nutritious food items at the store. Understanding the rules and restrictions of the EBT payment system is essential to make the most out of your benefits and avoid any issues or complications with your transactions.
How to Check EBT Balance at Big Lots
Shopping at Big Lots with an EBT card is a convenient way to purchase groceries, household supplies, and other essentials. However, before you start shopping, it’s important to make sure you have enough funds on your EBT card. Here’s how you can check your EBT balance at Big Lots.
1. Check EBT Balance Online
- Visit the official EBT website (www.ebt.ca.gov)
- Click on “Check Your EBT Balance”
- Enter your card number and PIN
- Your balance will be displayed on the screen
2. Check EBT Balance by Phone
- Call the EBT customer service number (1-877-328-9677)
- Enter your card number and PIN
- Your balance will be announced on the phone
3. Check EBT Balance at Big Lots Store
You can also check your EBT balance at the checkout line at a Big Lots store. Simply swiping your card at a point of sale pad will show the current balance. If you’re running low on funds, you can also ask the cashier to check how much you have left.
4. Checking EBT Transactions
EBT card users can also view their transaction history online or by calling the EBT customer service number. Checking your transactions can help you keep track of your purchases and make sure that your EBT benefits are being used correctly.
|EBT Customer Service||1-877-328-9677|
By utilizing these 4 methods, EBT users can stay on top of their card balance, make informed purchasing decisions, and avoid any potential issues at the checkout line. Happy shopping!
Alternatives to EBT at Big Lots
If you’re looking for alternatives to EBT at Big Lots, there are a few options available to you.
- Cash and Debit Cards: Big Lots accepts cash and all major debit cards if you don’t have an EBT card.
- Credit Cards: If you have a credit card, you can use it to make purchases at Big Lots.
- Store Credit: If you have a Big Lots rewards card, you can earn store credit for future purchases.
If none of these alternatives work for you, there are other stores that accept EBT and offer similar products and prices to Big Lots. Some of these stores include Dollar General, Family Dollar, and Kroger. These stores offer a variety of goods, including groceries, household items, and clothing.
If you’re looking for an online shopping experience, there are several websites that accept EBT, including Amazon and Walmart. These websites offer a wide range of products, from groceries to electronics, at competitive prices.
Comparison Table of Stores that Accept EBT
|Store||Types of Products||Locations|
|Big Lots||Discount Retail||Nationwide|
|Dollar General||Discount Retail||Nationwide|
|Family Dollar||Discount Retail||Nationwide|
|Amazon||Online Retailer||Online Only|
|Walmart||Discount Retail/Grocery Store||Nationwide|
Overall, if you’re looking for alternatives to using EBT at Big Lots, there are plenty of options available to you. Whether you choose to shop at another discount retailer or opt for online shopping, you can find affordable options for all of your needs.
Does Big Lots Take EBT? FAQs
1. Can I use my EBT card at Big Lots?
Yes, you can use your EBT card at Big Lots. The store accepts SNAP benefits for eligible food items.
2. What kind of food items can I purchase with my EBT card at Big Lots?
You can purchase eligible food items with your EBT card at Big Lots. This includes items such as bread, cereal, fruits, vegetables, meat, dairy products, and more.
3. Can I use my EBT card to purchase non-food items at Big Lots?
No, you cannot use your EBT card to purchase non-food items at Big Lots. SNAP benefits are only accepted for eligible food items.
4. Can I use my EBT card to purchase online at Big Lots?
No, currently EBT cards cannot be used for online purchases at Big Lots.
5. Are there any restrictions on using EBT at Big Lots?
Yes, there are some restrictions on using EBT at Big Lots. You cannot use EBT for non-food items, hot foods, or any items that are not eligible for purchase with SNAP benefits.
6. Are all Big Lots stores able to accept EBT?
Yes, all Big Lots stores are able to accept EBT for eligible food items.
7. What if I have trouble using my EBT card at Big Lots?
If you experience any issues using your EBT card at Big Lots, you can contact the customer service department for assistance.
Thanks for reading! We hope this article has answered all your questions about using EBT at Big Lots. Remember that only eligible food items can be purchased with SNAP benefits, and EBT cannot be used for non-food items or online purchases. Visit regularly for more articles on shopping and using government assistance programs.